Present membership, 81; value of property, $590; Bible school enrollment. 47. Like many others, nothing more could be learned.
Present membership, 80; value of property, $1,000; Bible school enrollment, 47.
Organized 1864, by Erastus Lathrop; present membership, 66; value of property, $700; Bible school began 1864; present enrollment, 58.
The first meetings were held in the schoolhouse and grove till 1867, when the chapel was built.
During this period the preaching was done mainly by Minister Lathrop, an aged and godly man, and Marion Shick. A. J. Brittain and James Hundley were the first elders, with Harry Barney, Henry Dean and Lewis Van Matre, deacons. All these are dead except Mr. Brittain. The church has had high and low tides in its life. It has always maintained worship on the Lord's Day when without a preacher. Has a C. E. society.
John Crawford was given to the ministry.
Organized 1884, by H. M. Sanderson, Sr.; present membership, 72; value of property, $2,000; Bible school began 1885; present enrollment, 40.
A good C. E. society. J. W. Whitaker was given to the ministry.
Organized 1866, by W. B. F. Treat; present membership, 280; value of
property, $3,000; Bible school began 1866; present enrollment, 195.
For ten years there were only a few members, who worshiped in a rented hall. G. W. Morrell, a much-loved resident minister, was the chief servant of the church during this period.
A commodious house of worship was built in 1896, to which additions were made in later years. The church is harmonious and hopeful, with good organized activities.
Present membership, 124; value of property, $1,500; Bible school
enrollment, 150. A good C. E. society.
Prairie Hall (Claremont). Present membership, 35; value of property, $1,000.
Extracted 04 Feb 2019 by Norma Hass from History of the Disciples of Christ in Illinois 1819-1914, by Nathaniel S. Haynes, published in 1915, pages 365-367.